Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy
Currently there are several ways to extract stem cells, but one of the most effective due to all the advantages they offer are the Umbilical Cord Stem Cells. The wide spectrum of possibilities they have and the speed with which they can be accessed has brought new hope to many patients.
Benefits of Umbilical Cord Stem Cells
Umbilical cord blood has been shown to be therapeutically useful for rescuing patients with bone marrow-related deficits and inborn errors of metabolism.* When used in an allogenic way, they are ready to be utilize thanks to the fact that they can be stored. Umbilical Cord Stem Cells have proven useful for use in many types of tissues, according to a National Institutes of Health study: “In 2003, we reported that UCM cells can be induced in vitro to become cells with morphological and biochemical characteristics of neurons. These findings have been extended by others, for example, neurons, cardiac muscle, bone, and cartilage.”* In addition, in recent years they have been used to help combat different types of Leukemia, especially in children.
Autologous and Allogenic stem cells
There are two main types of treatments when we talk about Stem Cell Therapy: Autologous and Allogeneic.
An autologous treatment uses Stem Cells which are extracted from the same patient, and this extraction can be done in various ways. Stem cells can be extracted by performing a small liposuction, in the bone marrow and even from the patient's own blood. There are some disadvantage when we use autologous stem cells, there are:
- Stem cells that can be extracted from an elderly person is smaller
- If the patient's immune system is compromised in some way, the therapy cannot be performed.
- This process is more expensive than allogenic stem cell therapy
When we talk about allogeneic stem cell treatment, we refer to those that have been extracted from completely healthy donors and have passed a rigorous examination. This opens a panorama of new possibilities for stem cell therapy such as:
- By having the stem cells cryogenically stored, the patient does not have to wait weeks to be able to start treatment.
- It does not matter if the patient is elder or has an immunodeficiency problem, the stem cells will be
- It is allowed in countries like Mexico, where laws and regulations are among the most progressive in the world.
Sources of Stem Cells
Now that we know the two main types of treatments we can to look at sources from which Stem Cells can be drawn. There are 3 main ones that have proven to be the most effective ways to obtain Stem Cells, these are:
- Bone Marrow: the physician removes marrow from a donor’s hip bone in a surgical procedure using anesthesia, sterile needles and syringes. The donor’s body replaces the donated bone marrow in four to six weeks. 1
- Adipose Tissue: through minor liposuctions on healthy young donors, mesenchymal stem cells for adipose (fat) tissue are extracted, processed and cultured in order to expand the volume and increase production for clinical applications.
- Cord Blood: After a baby is born it is possible to store the umbilical cord and placenta by freezing them at very low temperatures. The blood from these small organs contains a large amount of stem cells that can be collected very easily. In addition, since they are no longer necessary for the baby or the mother, this procedure is not dangerous.
Giostar Stem Cell Therapy Mexico
Giostar is a leading company in the field of stem cell therapy with more than 15 years of experience. We are in a constant search for innovation and progress to continue offering the best treatments for various diseases and chronic pain such as ALS, COPD, Diabetes, Arthritis, among many others; With personalized treatments directed by Dr. Anand Srivastava, we seek to offer unique therapies for unique conditions, like yours.
In regards of legislation and regulations for stem cell therapy, Mexico has some of the most progressive legal frameworks in the world, which allows to treat patients with conditions that require types of infiltrations that are not allowed in the USA, including those that require intrathecal, cervical or lumbar infiltration. Another very important point is the support and regulation of COFEPRIS (Mexico's equivalent of the FDA), which verifies that all processes are carried out properly for the perfect care of patients.
Stem Cell Therapy Cost Mexico
On average, Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico with Giostar Mexico starts at $8,500.00 USD for one application (half-treatment). Pricing highly depends on the personalized protocol that the Medical Director determines based on each patient's condition. What may this include?
What does an average umbilical cord stem cell treatment include?
- (Transportation from hotel-clinic, clinic-hotel and airport-hotel as well as hotel-airport (mainly for our Clinics in Playa del Carmen and Guadalajara; our Clinic in Los Algodones, due to its proximity to the US-Mexico border crossing, we pick up patients on the border and take them to our clinic or their hotel)
- Lodging (included in our Clinic in Algodones; lodging in Guadalajara and Playa del Carmen are paid by the patient)
- Oxygen Therapy
- Body preparation – Nutritional IV Therapy
- 1 - 10 billion exosomes (volume depends on Doctor's personal evaluation of each patient)
- 1 - 4 stem cell vials (35 - 140 million stem cells)
- Laboratory protocol by Dr. Anand Srivastava (activation of the stem cells in order to direct them towards the affected tissue or organ)
- Medical Consultation
- Dietitian Follow up post-therapy
- Preferential prices for future reinforcements/applications
- Laboratory exams the previous day before first application
1. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. (2007). Cord Blood Stem Cell Transplantation. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, 9.
2. NIH Public Access. (2013). Stem Cells in the Umbilical Cord. Stem Cell Rev, 14.