Stem cell for rotator cuff
Advancements in medical technology have led to new treatments that offer hope for those suffering from rotator cuff pain. One such treatment is stem cell therapy, which uses stem cells to promote tissue regeneration and healing. In this blog, we will explore the causes and symptoms of rotator cuff pain, the basics of stem cell therapy, and the potential benefits and costs associated with using stem cell therapy to treat rotator cuff injuries.
Where is rotator cuff pain?
Rotator cuff pain is a common condition that affects many individuals. The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that surround the shoulder joint and help to keep the arm bone in place. It is responsible for the movement and stability of the shoulder joint, which is one of the most mobile joints in the body.
Rotator cuff injuries are common among athletes and individuals who perform repetitive overhead motions. The most common injuries include rotator cuff tears, tendinitis, and impingement syndrome. Rotator cuff tears occur when the tendons that attach the muscles to the bone are torn. Tendinitis is inflammation of the tendons, while impingement syndrome is the compression of the rotator cuff muscles and tendons between the shoulder blade and the upper arm bone.
The symptoms of rotator cuff injuries include pain, weakness, and limited mobility in the shoulder joint. Pain may be felt in the shoulder, upper arm, or neck. In severe cases, individuals may experience difficulty sleeping on the affected shoulder or performing daily activities such as lifting objects or reaching overhead.
What are stem cells?
Stem cells are a type of cell that has the unique ability to develop into many different types of cells in the body. They are considered the building blocks of the body and play a crucial role in the development, growth, and repair of tissues and organs. Stem cells can be found in various parts of the body, such as bone marrow, blood, and adipose tissue.
One type of stem cell that has gained a lot of attention in recent years is mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). MSCs are multipotent stem cells that can differentiate into a variety of cell types, including bone, cartilage, and fat cells. They are also known to have immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory properties, making them a promising tool in regenerative medicine and tissue engineering. MSCs can be obtained from various sources, such as bone marrow, adipose tissue, and umbilical cord tissue.
Stem cell therapy for rotator cuff pain
Stem cell therapy is an innovative and promising treatment for rotator cuff pain. One advantage of stem cell therapy for rotator cuff pain is that it can provide a long-lasting and surgery free solution to the problem. Stem cells have the ability to differentiate into the specific cell types needed for tissue repair, and they also release growth factors and anti-inflammatory molecules that can further enhance healing.
In comparison to other treatments for rotator cuff pain, such as physical therapy, corticosteroid injections, or surgery, stem cell therapy offers a unique approach that addresses the underlying damage to the tissue. It has the potential to reduce pain, improve function, and restore quality of life for patients with rotator cuff injuries. In addition, stem cell therapy is minimally invasive, with fewer risks and complications than surgical procedures.
Stem cell therapy for rotator cuff pain cost
Stem cell therapy cost for rotator cuff pain, starts at $8,500.00 USD for one application (half-treatment). Pricing highly depends on the personalized protocol that the Medical Director determines based on each patient's condition. What may this include?
- Transportation from hotel-clinic, clinic-hotel and airport-hotel as well as hotel-airport (mainly for our Clinics in Playa del Carmen and Guadalajara; our Clinic in Los Algodones, due to its proximity to the US-Mexico border crossing, we pick up patients on the border or at Yuma Airport and take them to our clinic or their hotel)
- Lodging (available in our Clinic in Algodones) in Hotel Hacienda or Hotel Cielito Lindo
- Oxygen Therapy
- Body preparation – Nutritional IV Therapy
- 1 - 10 billion exosomes (volume depends on Doctor's personal evaluation of each patient)
- 1 - 4 stem cell vials (35 - 140 million stem cells)
- Laboratory protocol by Dr. Anand (activation of the stem cells in order to direct them towards the affected tissue or organ)
- Medical Consultation
- Dietitian Follow up post-therapy
- Preferential prices for future reinforcements/applications
- Laboratory exams the previous day before the first application
Thanks to a progressive legal framework in Mexico, Giostar can provide personalized therapy with intravenous and local applications otherwise legally unavailable in the United States and Canada. As everyone is unique, we develop personalized protocols for each patient. Although patients may share the same condition, we understand that similar symptoms does not necessarily mean same solution or treatment for everyone. Genetics, lifestyle and other circumstances can affect differently how patients respond to therapy.
It’s of utmost importance that you answer our health history form, this will determine two major factors:
- Your eligibility for therapy
- Your personalized protocol is developed according to your needs.
Stem cell therapy is a procedure in the regenerative medicine field. Regenerative medicine's ultimate goal is that our body regenerates itself. What stem cell therapy does in your body is slow down or stop the suffered deterioration and it can even regenerate damaged tissue and organs. That is why we ask our patients to fill out a Health Form, so our medical staff may first identify if stem cell therapy is actually an option for them, as well as allowing our medical team to understand each patient's specific health conditions.
- Mayo Clinic. (2020). Rotator cuff injury. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rotator-cuff-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20350225
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. (2019). Rotator Cuff Tears. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/rotator-cuff-tears/
- Hernandez, A., & Guerra, L. (2020). Stem cell therapy for rotator cuff repair: a review of current evidence. Cureus, 12(5), e8193. doi: 10.7759/cureus.8193
- Shishido, T., & Sakamoto, J. (2021). Stem cell therapy for rotator cuff tears: current status and future perspectives. Journal of Orthopaedic Science, 26(1), 1-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jos.2020.04.002
- Krych, A. J., & Kuzma, S. A. (2018). Treatment of rotator cuff tears with stem cell therapy: a comprehensive review. World Journal of Orthopedics, 9(9), 150-161. doi: 10.5312/wjo.v9.i9.150